Check out all episodes on the My Favorite Mistake main page.
My guest for Episode #116 of the My Favorite Mistake podcast is Steve Gerein, a musician and entrepreneur.
He was previously the lead singer of the country band Aces Wyld and he is now the founder and CEO of SongShop, a platform that connects artists with independent songwriters, so they can turn their catalogs into profit via licensing opportunities.
In today's episode, Steve talks about how he thought it would be “sort of easy” to make it as a band, eight or nine years ago in Canada (where he still lives). We talk about that and how he started a company that utilizes his domain knowledge.
We talk about other topics including:
- A band is like a startup?
- It’s not happening — but why?
- What tweaks can you make to the band?
- Making music vs. the business of music
- What are some of the opportunities to improve the model around buying or selling songs as a musician?
- The average song that’s written earns just $43 — why is that, how does SongShop help?
- Tools you can use when doubt and fear step in, and how to overcome them both in your professional and personal life?
- Other episodes that came up:
Find Steve on Social Media:
Scroll down to find:
- Video of the episode
- How to subscribe
- Full transcript
Subscribe, Follow, Support, Rate, and Review!
Please follow, rate, and review via Apple Podcasts or Podchaser or your favorite app — that helps others find this content and you'll be sure to get future episodes as they are released weekly. You can also become a financial supporter of the show through Anchor.fm.
You can now sign up to get new episodes via email, to make sure you don't miss an episode.
This podcast is part of the Lean Communicators network.