Did McKinsey Fire Tom Peters Because of His Long Hair?
You can also watch or listen to my interview with Tom back in August 2020 in my Lean podcast series.
Today, we talk about Tom's “favorite mistake” of getting fired from the consulting firm McKinsey for reasons that might include the long hair he had at the time.
FOUND! The long hair that contributed (perhaps) to his firing… and maybe he got a haircut before getting this photo taken for the dust jacket for In Search of Excellence. See Tom's comment below.
This was about two years after I left McKinsey. Hair when I left down to my shoulders. This pic is a buzz cut by comparison!— Tom Peters (@tom_peters) April 16, 2021
Other questions and topics include:
- Why and how Tom got “caught up in the work” and “forgot the rules” while working at McKinsey
- Why he hates “successful people who think they deserve their success”
- What is humanism? What is “exteme humanism”?
- Innovation means whoever tries the most stuff wins?
- Why we should hire people who are “decent” and “nice”
- Why research shows it's a mistake to not have 50% women in your executive team
- Why it's a mistake to think only “noisy” people are the most creative, the best at sales, the best leaders
- Tom Peters' party mistakes
- Books he mentions:
Scroll down to find:
- Video player
- How to subscribe
- Full transcript
You can listen to or watch the episode below. A transcript also follows lower on this page. Please subscribe, rate, and review via Apple Podcasts or Podchaser! You can now sign up to get new episodes via email, to make sure you don't miss an episode. This podcast is part of the Lean Communicators network.
Subscribe, Follow, Support, Rate, and Review!
Please subscribe, rate, and review the podcast — that helps others find this content and you'll be sure to get future episodes as they are released weekly. You can also become a financial supporter of the show through Anchor.fm.