What Getting Stuck in an MLM Hard Sell Event Taught Tim Spiker
My guest for Episode #80 of the My Favorite Mistake podcast is Tim Spiker, founder of his company The Aperio and author of the book The Only Leaders Worth* Following: Why Some Leaders Succeed, Others Fail, and How the Quality of Our Lives Hangs in the Balance.
For over 20 years, Tim has been helping individuals and organizations do one thing: lead better. He delivers keynote speeches and creates unique and customized learning experiences to effectively change the way people look at leadership in the short term, as well as guiding long- term developmental journeys.
His company The Aperio is dedicated to crafting better leaders not by sharing secret tips, but by helping them find the leadership potential within themselves – even when doing so is HARD!
In this episode, Tim shares a “favorite mistake” story about getting stuck in a high-pressure Multi-Level Marketing sales pitch when he was a graduate student. Why did this meeting, and what was said, then pique his interest in studying, understanding, and improving leadership?
Other topics and questions:
- What does the word “Aperio” mean with your company name?
- What is the “who* not what principle”?
- “3/4 of effectiveness as a leader is who you are, not what you do”
- What are the four steps of empathy?
- The book — what does the asterisk next to Worth mean?
- How do you choose a leader worth following? Mistakes people make in choosing to follow leaders?
- What are the effects of poor leadership on relationships and health?
- Implications for hiring or promoting?
- Rationalizing bad behavior or thinking you HAVE to be a jerk to be successful (Steve Jobs?)
- Why do leaders want to do new things without changing how they are?
- Leaders reacting to mistakes? How should they?
- Humility in leaders is a magnet… trust
Scroll down to find:
- Video of the Episode
- How to subscribe
- Full transcript
You can listen to or watch the episode below. A transcript also follows lower on this page. Please subscribe, rate, and review via Apple Podcasts or Podchaser! You can now sign up to get new episodes via email, to make sure you don't miss an episode. This podcast is part of the Lean Communicators network.
Watch the Full Episode:
Subscribe, Follow, Support, Rate, and Review!
Please subscribe, rate, and review the podcast — that helps others find this content and you'll be sure to get future episodes as they are released weekly. You can also become a financial supporter of the show through Anchor.fm.