A New NFL Assistant Coach’s Many Mistakes: Dr. Jen Welter
My guest for Episode #60 is Dr. Jen Welter. She has a PhD in Psychology and a Masters in Sport Psychology.
Jen played professional and semi-pro football as a linebacker (on women's teams) and as a running back (for a men's team). She's most notably known for being the first woman to be hired as an assistant coach, when the Arizona Cardinals brought her in to be an assistant coaching intern during their 2015 pre-season training camp.
She is author of the book Play Big: Lessons in Being Limitless from the First Woman to Coach in the NFL.
In today's episode, Jen talks about breaking the “glass sideline” of NFL football and what it was like to work amongst men on the field and the sidelines. She openly shares some mistakes she made when she got so much attention in 2015 with the Cardinals, including “maintaining an air of perfection,” “not being open to help,” and getting taken advantage of since she didn't have an agent or others looking out for her.
Jen also discusses topics including:
- Coaching and working with girls and how football is great for their self confidence and developing their bodies for strength, not just appearance
- What would we have seen if they did a reality show about her coaching? Or if they made a movie about her story?
- What are your biggest strengths as a football coach in terms of connecting with players? Knowing you played the game? Or more than that?
- Being a speaker — what sorts of messages for a corporate setting?
- Your unique value proposition is special – lean into it… be more special
- Authenticity – giving note cards to the players, “that’s what I would have wanted”
- Empathy is a leadership trait, period
- Has she watched “Ted Lasso”?
Scroll down to find:
- Video player
- How to subscribe
- Full transcript
You can listen to or watch the episode below. A transcript also follows lower on this page. Please subscribe, rate, and review via Apple Podcasts or Podchaser! You can now sign up to get new episodes via email, to make sure you don't miss an episode. This podcast is part of the Lean Communicators network.
Coach Welter at Work:Embed from Getty Images Embed from Getty Images
Subscribe, Follow, Support, Rate, and Review!
Please subscribe, rate, and review the podcast — that helps others find this content and you'll be sure to get future episodes as they are released weekly. You can also become a financial supporter of the show through Anchor.fm.