Brewer Kelly Meyer Started a Damn Brewery at the Wrong Damn Time
My guest for Episode #133 of the My Favorite Mistake podcast is Kelly Meyer, the author of How NOT to start a Damn Brewery: Ten Business Lessons From The Front Lines of The Craft Beer Industry — and a podcast of that same name.
In today's episode, Kelly shares his “favorite mistake” story about starting a brewery (New Braunfels Brewing Company) at the wrong time — and how he sold that brewery ten years later. His book talks about 10 major mistakes that he made… it’s a fun read, even if you’re not interested in starting a damn brewery.
We talk about that story and other topics including:
- Not getting out – 3 moments of insolvency… How close were you to getting out?
- Had sold a chain of fitness centers — what made that successful? Did you think that would be transferrable?
- 2022 – when the EIDL funds run out…
- Why write the book? Cathartic? Warning for others?
- Are you working as an advisor to others?
- Was it a mistake to curse in the book?
- “Most people… don’t want to hear the truth” — Magazines don’t want to print anything negative
- “Mistakes are just weaknesses leaving your business”
- Would you ever start another brewery based on what you learned the first time?
- Tell us more about the podcast — No shortage of guests?
Scroll down to find:
- How to subscribe
- Full transcript
Subscribe, Follow, Support, Rate, and Review!
Please follow, rate, and review via Apple Podcasts or Podchaser or your favorite app — that helps others find this content and you'll be sure to get future episodes as they are released weekly. You can also become a financial supporter of the show through Anchor.fm.
You can now sign up to get new episodes via email, to make sure you don't miss an episode.
This podcast is part of the Lean Communicators network.