Because improvement matters… we all deserve the best healthcare (as patients) and the best healthcare workplaces (as professionals). More engaged staff leads to better quality and lower cost. That’s why I do this work.
The only constant is change.
I am able to work with and assist “lean healthcare” clients through my company - Constancy, Inc. The name refers to Dr. W. Edwards Deming and his idea that organizations need a long-term “constancy of purpose” in order to continually improve quality and organizational results. I am steadfast in my passion for helping healthcare organizations improve – creating conditions for the best possible patient care and the best possible healthcare workplaces.
“constancy n1. the quality of having a resolute mind, purpose, or affection; steadfastness”
Consulting and Advisory Services
New! Workshops and services related to my latest book, Healthcare Kaizen: Engaging Front-Line Staff in Sustainable Continuous Improvements.
As an independent practitioner, based in San Antonio, I am not the type of consultant who can be on-site with you every week for a long-term engagement. What I prefer to focus on are short, strategic engagements to provide specific experience or value to your organization and leadership team.
It is my style to teach and coach – to guide your leaders and team members in practicing Lean methods and learning Lean mindsets. One former client said, in a published case study, “Lean wasn’t done to us. We participated in the process and learned from it.” At another client, a front-line staff member said, “You’re not like other consultants. You’re teaching us how to figure things out ourselves.”
Areas where Constancy, Inc. might be able to help:
- Establishing systems and processes for harnessing staff suggestions and improvement ideas, coaching managers and leaders in the mechanics and the soft skills of “kaizen” (as featured in my new book Healthcare Kaizen).
- Diagnosing your existing Lean transformation approach – what is working well, what are opportunities for improvement?
- Teaching your staff members how to observe their work in a structured and systematic way to identify waste
- Current-state and future-state value stream mapping
- Coaching managers and front-line staff in identifying waste, with an eye for improving quality and improving flow
- Executive Lean education and coaching
- Problem solving
- Lean healthcare strategy – how to get started, selecting a long-term consultant, etc.
- Designing and implementing kanban systems for effective materials management
- Leading “Lean design” activities with staff, leaders, and architects
- Patient flow improvements
- Lean laboratory flow and turnaround time improvements
- Much, much more
Published case studies and articles about Mark Graban’s work:
- Riverside Medical Center, Kankakee, Illinois - PDF
- Children’s Hospital (confidential location) - PDF
- NHS Northampton General Hospital, England – General Case Study PDF, Kanban System PDF, Level Loading PDF
- Blog post from HKS architects, about “lean design” work done jointly at Riley Hospital for Children
Mark is fully certified in HIPPA compliance, bloodborne pathogen awareness, and all other requirements of the RepTrax vendor certification process. Constancy, Inc. is incorporated in the State of Texas.