Software Product Manager Melissa Perri Got Stuck in the “Build Trap”
She is the author of the book Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value.
Melissa does many things, including hosting the podcast Product Thinking with Melissa Perri. She is Founder & CEO of Produx Labs. Melissa created the online school Product Institute, where she has shared her scientific approach to Product Management with over 3500 students. She also started a program called the CPO Accelerator.
In 2019, Melissa was appointed to the faculty of Harvard Business School to teach Product Management in the MBA program.
Melissa is a highly sought-after keynote speaker, having addressed audiences in over 35 countries. She has a B.S. in Operations Research and Information Engineering from Cornell University.
In today's episode, Melissa shares her “favorite mistake” story related to working for a software company, where they produced a big requirements document and then built software that, basically, nobody wanted to use. People SAY they’ll use it, but really??
Other topics and questions:
- How do we know if it’s a great startup idea?
- The Highest Paid Person's Opinion?
- Risk of creating smaller batches but not being open to experiments not working out
- *MVP – minimum viable product
- Delegating the things you’re really good at
- Didn’t listen to gut over advice, warring with herself for years
- “Experiment theatre”
- What is “The Build Trap”?
- As a consultant, have to be careful not naming names when presenting on stage or doing podcasts… everyone’s on a journey
- Product management mistakes?
- Is the problem the product managers or the company?
Scroll down to find:
- Watch the video
- How to subscribe
- Full transcript
Watch the Episode:
Subscribe, Follow, Support, Rate, and Review!
Please follow, rate, and review via Apple Podcasts or Podchaser or your favorite app — that helps others find this content and you'll be sure to get future episodes as they are released weekly. You can also become a financial supporter of the show through Anchor.fm.
You can now sign up to get new episodes via email, to make sure you don't miss an episode.
This podcast is part of the Lean Communicators network.